Categories: Outdoor art gallery, memorial
Address: Near the city center (in former East Berlin) on Mülenstraße in Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg
Date visited: February 2013
Verdict: MUST SEE!
- International memorial and symbol of freedom; a visual testimony to the jubilation and spirit of liberation after the fall of the Berlin Wall
- 1.36 kilometers long; it is the longest segment of the Berlin Wall that is still standing today
- Features 106 beautiful murals painted by 118 artists from 21 different countries. Also referred to as the Kunstmeile, or art mile, the gallery is located along the banks of the river Spree in Friedrichshain
- Very inspiring and informative, a must-see in Berlin!
- Will end up here with the alternative Berlin free walking tour (strongly recommended!)
- Some of the more well-known murals are:
Dimitrji Vrubel's “The Mortal Kiss” of Erich Honecker and Leonid Brezhnev's mouth-to-mouth embrace
Birgit Kinder’s Trabi (Trabant) knocking down the Wall
Some of my other personal favorites: