[Los Angeles] Nick's Cafe
Categories: Breakfast & Brunch, Diner
Address: 1300 N. Spring St., Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Elysian Park) - near old Chinatown
Date visited: Multiple times in 2012
Hours: Monday - Friday 5:30 am - 3:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday 6:30 am - 4:00 pm
Verdict: I'll be back when I want some good ol' traditional comfort brunch food. Best diner near DTLA.
- Best breakfast/brunch diner near downtown Los Angeles
- One of LA Weekly's 2012 Top 10 Spots for Breakfast in Los Angeles.
- Opened since 1948, it retains an old-school atmosphere and vintage railroad decor with a large sit-down U-shaped counter inside
- Must visit if you want some down-to-earth homemade wholesome and hearty food!
- Everything is made with fresh ingredients and made in-house
- Best known for their Ham N Eggs (giant hunk of juicy slowly baked pork with housemade hash browns and eggs)
- Also famous for their:
- Machaca skillet (with their secret recipe housemade salsa)
- biscuits and jam
- huge fluffy pancakes
- Many scrumptious breakfast and lunch choices (fluffy pancakes, french toast, hand group top sirloin burgers, sandwiches, burritos, scrambles, omelets, etc)
- Very friendly and accommodating staff with excellent service
- HUGE portions with very reasonable prices, definitely getting the most bang for your buck
- Amazing selection of eggs benedicts (6-9 choices) on the weekends, and free coffee!
- Great daily specials available
- Eggs benedicts are served only on the weekends! The wait on Saturdays and Sundays can be notoriously long; arrive as early as possible to shorten the wait!
- Cash only!